“I can never read all the books I want; I can never be all the people I want and live all the lives I want. I can never train myself in all the skills I want. And why do I want? I want to live and feel all the shades, tones and variations of mental and physical experience possible in life. And I am horribly limited.” -Sylvia PlathPhoto by Ernst Haas Read More... →
Oh hi, honey bees. I’ve been neglecting you. I’ve gotten into completely zombie-like zone of stress and responsibility that has worn me out and sucked the frivolity of me. I never thought I would be one to require yoga, herbal anti-stress supplements and a regular amount of sleep but it turns out I totally am. My body has been so high maintenance lately- tension headaches, allergy attacks, lots of little surprises under the hood over here. You really want to hang out with me now don’t you? I am SO FUN! I wonder if I should change the tagline on my business cards to compulsive worrier with a stylish collection of food allergies and life-plan anxieties.
In other news, my computer caught on fire (mildly); I am going to learn how to sew (tentatively); and I got a fancy pants camera for Christmas! My intention with the camera was to take Time magazine worthy images to share with you lovely souls here on this blog but it turns out I don’t really know how to use my camera! Not really at all! So I’ve been reading the manual and eye-screwing the hell out of it, hoping it will warm up to me.
I haven’t done many outfit posts here for a couple of reasons:
- 1) If you don’t have a photographer boyfriend or personal life-slave it’s kind of hard to force people to conduct a photoshoot for you. No one really likes you enough to take countless pouty face pictures of you for free unless they’re sleeping with you. I solved this issue with a tripod. So, essentially you could say my tripod is my boyfriend. He’s tall, strong and silent, baby. Should we name him?
- 2) I didn’t have a camera. Now I have a camera that I don’t know how to use. Life’s cruel!
Ranting aside, I figured I’d share a few pics of the dress that’s been on heavy rotation for me this winter. It’s the ideal I-don’t-know-where-I’m-going dress because it’s easy to layer, short enough to be sexy with bare legs but long enough to be demure with tights and scandalous enough for nighttime when you show off the backless behind. Anyone that’s friends with me on facebook probably thinks I sleep in this dress.
Here we go daytime:
*I am not smiling because I am personally mourning the death of the holidays.
1. Let go… of control, the past, what could have been.
2. Celebrate small accomplishments… of my own, and of others.
3. Make occasions… Christmas blues may be responsible for this one but my feeling is: the holidays are special because we see our family; eat, drink and slow down. Create other occasions throughout the year to do the same.
4. Walk more.
5. Worry less.
6. Revel in the present.
7. Give to others… focus more of my time, my resources, and my attention on those that need them more than I do.
I hope you got good and saucy ringing in the new year. I am never drinking again.Read More... →
I never understood that the holidays might be considered stressful until this year. Once I divided the amount of free weekend hours I have, by the number of presents I need to purchase I felt my large intestine twist into a a topknot bun of despair.
How in the hell are you supposed to get it all done?!?! How do you supress your road rage in the mall parking lot on a saturday afternoon?! How do you avoid the pitfalls of self- pleasure in your favorite stores?! How do you tell yourself that listening to “White Christmas” by Michael Buble over 300 times is unhealthy?! How do you avoid the itchiness of Christmas sweaters while still appearing festive?! (the answer to that last one is, of course, hair wreaths).
I’d talk to you about presents and what not but it’s giving me too much anxiety. Only words to the wise are: when in doubt go to Jonathan Adler- coffee mugs, ornaments, happy things.
Anyways, here are things on my mind right now:
1. PRESENTS, GIFTS, THE PERFECT GIFTS, THE PERFECT GIFT THAT SAYS “I LOVE YOU/ I HAVE GOOD TASTE/ I SPENT HOURS PICKING THIS OUT/ YOU’RE STYLISH/ LET’S JUST MAKEOUT WITH THIS STYLISH GIFT BECAUSE IT’S SO YOU AND IT MAKES YOU FEEL LIKE ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS” ( Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close anyone?).
3. positive thoughts
5. velvet everything
What say you sugar plum?
Read More... →